31 January 2015

Driving in Maine: What NOT to Do

Well, here goes a story. It began on an early Wednesday morning, the day after the massive Juno snow storm hit the northeast.

I had a hunch I wasn't going to be able to go for a run on duty, so I wanted to run before I left for work. Sadly, it didn't happen. Those 5:00 a.m. deals are just real struggles. But, I thought, "maybe I could snag a quick little, 10 minute boardwalk jaunt before work." We weren't going into work until 7:00 a.m. and arrival time was flexible because of the roads and their snowy conditions.

As I was pulling down the road to work, I looked down the hill that went in front of the police station. It was the best way to get to the boardwalk parking lot. "Looks kind of steep, hope my car can make it back up," I thought.

10 min later....

My car could NOT make it back up. Halfway up, I slid backwards into the bank directly in front of the police station. I took a few (like 6) slightly frantic in-and-outs from my car, where I would attempt to bare-handedly clear snow from around the wheels, then put my car in all kinds of gears to make it move, to no avail. I was starting to get nervous, mostly from impending embarrassment.

How was I to explain I was late because I was dumb enough to go down a too-steep hill from about 400yds to work, just to get some fresh air before 2 days of confinement? I debated walking with my uniforms and bags, but realized I couldn't really leave my car there, blocking the whole Rockland Police force. I figured I might have to call for assistance and bring the help out, in front of the probably-laughing policeman, both Coast Guard duty crews, and the Tradewinds Inn guests on the other side of the road.

Finally, though, my car budged. Not sure how. However, I got stuck diagonally, even more in the way. I attempted to wave to a snow-plower, who just looked at me and probably couldn't have helped me anyway.

Somehow, someway, I made the car move enough to get the traction again after two more attempts. I safely backed into the flat area of the lot...and guess what I did?

FLOORED IT up that hill. For a few heart-rending seconds, my car stopped at the top lip of the hill, wheels spinning. I kept pushing the pedal all of the way down. The wheels eventually caught and my little blue car crested the hill and went over. I'm not sure what would have happened if I'd not made it over and simply backed into the police car parked not too far behind me. Phew. 

After driving down the block and parking in front of the station, I took a few deep breaths and walked into work as if nothing had happened. I was only six minutes after 7:00 a.m. the third one from my section to arrive. Hallelujah.

Stubborn, stupid, or strong-willed, I don't know. But had I not cracked myself up, nearly to tears, as I re-lived this story with my friends Anna and Tara, I would likely have kept this story from all you experienced Maine drivers 'round here. Some lessons you learn the hard way, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Goodbye"

Some say that the more “goodbyes” you say, the easier it gets. What foolish words we speak to ourselves, then, because they most certainly ...